Skip to main content

Digital challans are fine, but what traffic rules are you enforcing?


The Integrated Command and Control Centre under the aegis of Smart City Bhopal is decidedly a great initiative. Its range of services is impressive and will no doubt help in several momentous ways. On traffic management part of the range of services, it is music to our ears that it aims at improving traffic flow using intelligent signals and keeping commuters informed on the status of public transport in near-real time. Yet, it seems like touching a motley of transgressions, e.g. running the red lights, disregarding zebra crossings, and some more. That is rather a small part of the enforcement domain, which, in itself, is only one of the three interacting disciplines. All three, i.e. education, engineering and enforcement have to go hand-in-hand to see some sanity on the roads. The most intractable of these three is education, because it involves lakhs of drivers and would-be drivers. Not only that, it involves educating the traffic policemen who, beyond the simplistic ones, know precious little about the rules. Providing any advisory on safe driving practices is of course a far cry.   

Say, what should I do if I am trapped behind a slow-moving school bus? Should I overtake it? Or, is it against the law? And then, what should I do if the school bus has stopped on the side and children are alighting or getting off? Does the law require I stop? I had no such information given to me and I already hold a driving license. I could face a traffic policeman reprimanding me, but the chances are it won’t happen. My savior is the fact is that the cop either doesn’t know it as an offence. Other possibility is that he cares a hoot unless he figures he can extract some cash he doesn’t have to disclose to his enquiring wife.

The traffic rules of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 are enshrined in a substantial and forbiddingly bulky set of books seen only on lawyers’ bookshelves. Even if you are able to lay your hands on that epic, nobody in his right mind can expect you to read it through and survive the ordeal. We know there are ways to abridge that wisdom in a 20-page booklet, which is all that aspirant drivers need to assimilate and abide by. That much education is the minimum one must acquire before taking the sit-in examination at the office of local motor vehicles department. Little is known to common man whether a booklet like that exists and nobody tells him whether its reading is a prerequisite.

Where from would you know then that there is something like ‘right of way’ that is at the core of creating order on roads? I mean it is simple that if I am driving along a straight road and there are no ‘Stop’ signs, those trying to come on it from smaller side-lanes have to stop for me; I have the right of way, they don’t. I will not even slow down; I will go. And if you have been under the impression that coming in from a small road on my left you can merrily come on the road, expecting me to slow down and accommodate you, you are dead wrong. I will hit you, and I am within my rights to do that.  

Then, if it’s a roundabout that doesn’t have signals, I have to stop for the traffic coming in from my right hand side, because traffic on the right side has the right of way.

The battle of nerves that is played out at that roundabout would be comical, if it weren’t so dangerous. What happens is that I nose in some, look to my left, look to my right, and I nose in some more. The driver on my right is more daring; he moves forward with purposeful determination looking at me with disdain. I lose nerve and slow down lest I should hit him. Then there is a truck coming in from left; that driver presses his accelerator while his clutch is still half-way pressed in, makes his engine roar, clearly messaging all and sundry that he is not about to be cowed down. I chicken out and stop dead. The vehicle on my right, who had till then found me easy to deal with, has now met with a bigger adversary who has obviously experienced many a mayhem on the roads. He stops too, his fender inches away from mine. The truck wins. It passes the roundabout first. The driver with that disdainful look passes next. I am obviously the last.

The point I make is that this “give way to the traffic on your right” is the gospel that prevents anarchy on roads. It is sadly not known even to the hallowed law enforcers. Smart traffic management with a bit of enforcement and a bit of engineering is going to address only the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

Education is the key. It needs to be taken up with a sense of urgency for school children in middle and secondary levels either as a part of a subject named ‘Civic Sense’ or a stand-alone discipline; the key is that marks obtained be included in the final grade. There have to be well-designed refresher booklets followed by re-examination for license holders at the time of renewals of licenses. Above all, traffic police needs to know what the rules are and what they should be doing to implement those in the field. We are in dire need of looking like a civilized nation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Experiences

Like all my friends, I too was once a 17-year old awkward looking human in that shaded area when you are considered a naïve boy in certain estimations and a grown up man in the other situations. It leaves you so confused that you behave as neither of those. And I have also used the adjective ‘awkward’. It is because, at that age, facial hair appear to the extent that you are unsure whether to shave or not.    In those good old days nobody asked you, “Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?” You generally were preached to from the pulpit. Unsure about what future held, I had to sit through sessions where three, mostly idle, older cousins and uncles ruled the roost. The agenda invariably was what I should be doing with my life. My Dad, an engineer himself and rather a busy man, didn’t have time for idle chatter. He gave all of two minutes to the first of those meetings and announced that I should go for an engineering career at Roorkee. He walked away and chose not to participate i

Privatisation: Let’s learn from Tanzania

I wonder what this for-and-against ballyhoo is on privatisation of PSUs in India. It is simple; Government has no business running businesses. Other than the inevitable reduction in unnecessary manpower and therefrom creating some unemployment, there is generally no downside to privatisation. Is it then a debate on efficiency versus spurious employment? Tanzania — much smaller economy – privatised over 400 public companies within 10 years. They knew the manpower complements were 3 to 10 times bigger than what the work called for.  The country chose to bite the bullet and directed their attention to finding gainful employment opportunities thus making a positive contribution to the economy.    In India, PSUs showing reasonable gross profit are only in the oil and gas space, and in power and its distribution. These are areas the government is in a comfort zone because they fix the product prices. Coal India—not in the two above mentioned business areas—is perhaps the only notable excepti

An immigrant’s America: two chapters and a long interlude

Back in mid-1960s, I loved everything American. This mindset developed after reading whatever American material I could lay my hands on—that included ‘Old Man and the Sea’ on one end and dozens of Earl Stanley Gardner mysteries on the other. Sunday morning shows of Hollywood movies of all genre couldn’t be missed. The menagerie included Ben Hur, Roman Holiday, Who is afraid of Virginia Wolf, Guns of Navarone, The Great Escape, and a lot many other classics.    To me, America was synonymous with modernity, spirit of inquiry, technological development and the ultimate destination for those who had a reasonable chance to get there. After my engineering degree, getting into a US Graduate School was the extent to which I allowed myself to look into future. Nothing else mattered. It happened. I was accepted at a great college in America’s southeast—cloud nine and all that. After a month of orientation with the new environs, I ventured out a bit. On a blind date, sought by me, I drew up a gir